Monday, June 14, 2010

Events In This Theatre

The period between mid- May and early June has been very tumultuous. I practically had a revolution in every aspect of my life; well, except financial. During the forced break, friends made sure that I saw another part of my very well choreographed lifestyle.
All the events as they unfolded: aga khan, yaya centre, eldoret, ethiops and of course, at baba dogo….
But now am back to school, it remains to see how many of those momentous changes will remain in place.
None the less, I realize that I have become a critical thinker, seeing a bigger picture of each case than I ever used to. Like the meaning of the word “sustainability” in a project that is aimed at lasting a few years.
Also, my dream of learning the “laws governing the creation, distribution and ownership of wealth” has risen to a new level. I realized this in my discussion with graduates of Law school, Political Science and Economics. Actually, the words quoted above were the exact ones I used to explain to Marguerite when she asked me my life plan.
I began reading the Wealth of the Nations, by Adam Smith (1776). This is a great writ, by7 any measure.
That division of labour is crucial to industrialization.
That we apply not to our needs, but to their self-love, when we ask for help from others.
Then he says “…..an African king, the absolute masters of the lives and liberties of ten thousand naked savages”. How am I supposed to respond to this?

Yesterday, I went to collect Elena and Erwin from some hotel in town. The guards wouldn’t let me in; no, in fact they didn’t talk to me till I really engaged them. And then only in non-committal answers. As I stood at the door wondering and seething in anger, the two came out wondering why I did not enter the hotel. They saw me at the door, argue with the guards, and turn back in frustration.

Is Kenya not the whore of Africa? Do we blame Europeans for calling us naked savages then?

Adam Smith’s insult stinks worse in view of our own behavior towards our own people in our own country.

No comments:

Post a Comment