Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Don't go crazy, yet

I am happy that there seems to be genuine effort to curb graft in this country. Any true patriot should be happy. But having lived in this country this long, having seen our political class turn every way to remain rich and powerful at the expense of everyone else; I am a little unruffled by the general euphoria.

When I see someone 'step aside' to 'pave way for investigations', I get a dejavu feeling. When I hear that some committee or another has 'cleared' someone else of any 'wrong-doing', my cynicism with the whole process grows fatter.

Kenyans, forgive me; but I just don't trust these our old men anymore. I have always doubted their concern for this country, but in the face of the things they have done in the past few years, I am convinced of the utter criminality of our 'leaders'.

Maybe i have read 'too much' Bible; and believe that "it is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes' (Psalm 118). or maybe I think so much of Lord Acton's words: Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely". Or even maybe, I am jealous; I wish I was the one in power, emptying the public coffers and snatching all the victuals like a gluttonous hyena.

It may be so.

However, I ask all of us to remain sober and steadfast in our resolve to reduce impunity to human levels. It is natural that some people will be richer than others. But it is wrong for some people to die of starvation while the whole country watches this from their TV sets. In this 'man-eat-man' society, where cabinet ministers watch a family share dog meat with warm water and salt and do nothing; and not because their is no aid, but who will give it?

I have always admired the US. It is not a perfect state, but at least, no one dies of cold or hunger in the general commotion of others to get rich. Likewise, as we all compete and grasp at each others throats to get rich-and get rich quickly- those in power should ensure that no child is denied food, education and the warmth of a house.

That is why am reading the news of 'corruption beasts being slain' with a pinch of salt. I have been duped so many times; this time round, I will believe after I see blood.

I may be alone, but again, I know someone else is with me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment